- Who we are
- What we do
- SADC Gender Protocol & Alliance
- Gender & Media
- Gender & Governance
- Gender Justice
- Gender Links Services (GLS)
- Making a difference
- Join Our Communities
Communication is a fundamental part of our daily existence and it is essential that as civil society we communicate more strategically. A need has therefore arisen to assist activists and organisations to put their messages across more effectively using various communication tools as well as new information technologies. Strategic communications form a big part of the work that GL does in the gender justice sector as communicating around gender based violence.
- A systematic approach to communications is essential for all civil society organisations
- Networking among organisations is a crucial component of communications and essential for maximising impact
- There is a need for a vibrant gender equality movement across Southern Africa which undertakes joint campaigns and monitors their impact
- Giving women and men equal voice is essential to democracy, good governance and accountability
- It is important that all stakeholders become active participants in shaping the information they receive and how they use it.
An example is the Sixteen Days of Activism Campaign which has gained momentum in countries across Southern Africa and has served to raise awareness amongst ordinary citizens and governments about the high levels of gender violence in the region, as well as the 365 Day Action Plans which aim to deepen the Sixteen Days of Activism campaigns through developing a set of concrete actions to address gender violence throughout the year, such that the Sixteen Days becomes a time to take stock of progress and set new benchmarks, rather than to simply draw attention to the problem. Getting these messages out and using new information technologies such as the cyber dialogues and SMS campaigns are an important part of communication.
WHO TO CONTACT
For a free consultation and quotation please contact: Anushka Virahsawmy, Regional Training Manager
Phone: (+230) 4674642 / 4674643