- Who we are
- What we do
- SADC Gender Protocol Alliance
- Gender & Media
- Gender & Governance
- Gender Justice
- Gender Links Services (GLS)
- Making a difference
- Join Our Communities
The GMDC envisages media that are diverse, representative, responsive, and professional, and a citizenry – women and men – who are empowered to engage critically with the media.
The GMDC, with linkages in Africa and across the globe, facilitates the collection, connection and dissemination of information and resources relating to gender, media and diversity. The centre also collaborates on research, education and training.
- Promote more analytical, responsive and contextual journalism.
- Develop and share a body of knowledge on gender and media diversity.
- Publicise the work of media scholars, students and practitioners.
- Provide resources that make the links between media theory and practice.
- Create a space for participatory discussion and debate on gender and media diversity.
- Develop north-south and institutional partnerships with strategic organisations.
- Become a centre of excellence on new approaches and fresh thinking.
The GMDC advisory group meets twice a year either face to face or through teleconferencing. Members of the GMDC advisory group based in Southern Africa have had the opportunity to have face to face meetings followed by teleconferences with international members. Minutes of all advisory group meetings are attached.
Members of the GMDC
In addition to the list of institutions and individuals in the GMDC Advisory Group the following institutions are members of the GMDC.