SA Barometer 2013: Chapter 11 Gender and climate change

Date: November 25, 2013
  • SHARE:

Key points

  • South Africa is signatory to international instruments on climate change.
  • South Africa has achieved a target of halving the proportion of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water by half.
  • Declaration on gender and climate change was adopted at COP 18 in Doha, Qatar.
  • Although not endowed with abundant natural forests, South Africa has implemented a monitoring system for natural habitats use such as crop cultivation, mining, plantations and urban development.
  • South Africa has over the years been subjected to floods and drought posing food security threats for the country.
  • Women’s participation in climate change decision making is critical as they form a large population of energy users in South Africa. 60% of key decision makers in climate change and environmental sustainability are women; men make up the other 40%.
  • Inclusive national development is threatened by climate change effects.
  • Citizen participation is integral in formulating policies around climate change and environment management such as the Climate Change train dialogues.
  • The government through its National Development Plan; is committed to become a less resource intensive economy and adopt sustainable development practices

Download the chapter below. To comment,scroll down and type your comment in the comment box.


Download : Ch 11: Climate change

Comment on SA Barometer 2013: Chapter 11 Gender and climate change

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *